search

Friday, July 31, 2009

Links to the Competition

Very interesting comment so far. Thanks for posting parts of two articles below in CDBaby Relaunch Debate.

Check out the links on the lower left for "the competition." If you mention any site, I'll link to them there.

The DD (non) payments truly are a puzzle, it seems. My income has always come in dribs and drabs, but I sell a lot more thru iTunes than I ever have of compact discs. On a fairly consistent basis, however, I've managed to earn enough to pay for my Starbucks habit (where I get to pick up the "free" iTune of the week and wonder why I'm never featured!).

Now my barista asks me why I rarely go see her anymore; I tried telling her, "it's only business. . .or lack thereof "

3 comments:

  1. Check out the links to "the competition" on the left. If you post about them here, I'll link to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looked good:
    http://www.catapultdistribution.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this point, the only reason i can give myself to stay at CDBaby is that their electronic distribution is extensive. It's a fairly painless way to get into electronic distribution, which really is where it's at -- the CD era is ending. However, other younger companies are catching up.

    Before the site upgrade, i would have recommended CDBaby to a new artist without hesitation. Not only that old site was great, but their customer support (for the artists and for the artists' consmers) was top-notch! Today i would still mention CDBabyas a possibility, mainly because of the electronic distribution. But were i starting today i would definitely shop around first.

    On-demand CD production and prices that are going up but are still good. Horrible customer and tech support: http://www.kunaki.com

    Here's the one i think is the most similar to the spirit of "the old CDBaby": http://www.indieheaven.com/ . They now offer free electronic distribution including iTunes and Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Followers